Thursday, August 6, 2009

Stairs are done!!

This is a picture of what the stairs looked like when we moved in after we ripped up the ugly 70's orange carpet!!! They must have put a 2nd coat of stain on after they put the carpet down as towards the edges of the stairs it was darker. Can't see it in this picture.


After picture, I lightly sanded them, then stained the step part and painted the riser white after much arguing with dh about it. He wanted the whole steps stained, but I won!!! I gave in and left the railing black, I wanted to paint that white also..oh well. Looks good anyway.

Another angle and the new braided runners I got off ebay. Just put them on this morning so they are still a little curled around the edges from the package, I'm sure they will lay flat in a couple of days. Now I need to get a rug that matches for in front of the stairs. I love the way these turned out although it was a lot of work. The stain took forever to dry, but it was worth it.

16 comments:

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

WOW! The stairs look awesome! I know that was a lot of back-breaking work! Good for you to get it done! And the stair mats look great and show them off perfectly! Are they tacked in place or do you have something to make them stick? Just curious. :)

Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

the stairs turned out beautifully! I bet you are so proud of them!

eeekj35 said...

What a difference! I love the white paint- sorry dh. But, I also love the railing black. Great job! Tough work. Kim

Yankee Ridge Primitives said...

WOW, those turned out great!
So glad you won and hubby didnt!

A Bit of Colour said...

Your stairs look great! I did our stairs a few months back & understand all the hard work that goes into that process. Fantastic job!

Debbi said...

Carolyn, I just have them done with the rubber backing stuff that you can use for any rugs, but I think I am going to have to tack them down.

Carmen S. said...

Those look great! Love the braided runners too:)

Anne said...

Very nice, glad you kept the railing black...looks great!

Kris ~ Simply Prim said...

The stairs look great, Debbi! You did a fantastic job on them!

~Kris~

Janene said...

Those look amazing! I want to do my steps like that too! I need to find some of those braided tread runners...they look fantastic!
Enjoy the rest of your week!

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

LOVE your stairway!! Great job, Debbi!!
...I love the colors in you treads!

Wendi said...

The change is amazing! I really like the black rail. Great job!

WoolenSails said...

Love the stairway and the braided mats. We still need to get to the stairs and I plan on making braids for treads too. Love that banister, piece of art in iteself.

Debbie

Never So Simple said...

What a great transformation. I love the white risers.

Donna

Sherri/Here Goes My Life said...

They look great. I luv the white and stain.The mats look great too
:0)Sherri

My Colonial Home said...

Oh your stairs turned out beautiful!
I'd love to have the wood on our stairs showing but that won't happen here...glad you got it!
Karen